Search This Blog

HOME

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Kamnan Suthep explains life on the run.

Suthep Thaugsuban, known as "Kamnan Suthep"


Suthep Thaugsuban, known as "Kamnan Suthep", says his life has completely changed since he abandoned the politics of parliament and stepped out to head the street protests against the Pheu Thai-led government.

"My life is like a dream. When I wake up, there are many people around me.

"Occasionally I have to sleep in a tent in the centre of a rally site, and this makes me more aware that the people who come here have sacrificed many things and I cannot abandon them," Mr Suthep said in an exclusive interview with the Bangkok Post.

The former Democrat Party powerbroker admitted he has to be very careful at all times when travelling. Police, both in uniform and plainclothes, had tried to stop and arrest him by parking public buses in the middle of the street to prevent him passing through, but other police had tipped him off in advance and he was able to escape their clutches.

"I've been in this type of situation numerous times, but I've always managed to escape," he said.

As leader of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), he said his supporters - who he referred to as the "great mass uprising" or muan maha prachachon - ask him about the PDRC's next move everytime he calls for a mass gathering.

"There are lots of questions and I can't really sleep. I sleep two to three hours a day but I have to perservere," the kamnan (tambon chief) said.

He said there were times when he wanted to throw in the towel. After the launch of the PDRC's Bangkok Shutdown: Restart Thailand campaign on Jan 13 he had asked himself what he should do next and how it would end, but streams of people came to him urging him to carry on the fight to the end and to not desert them.

"Before, I was hated by Bangkokians because of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก 4-01) land reform scheme. Nobody wanted to say 'hi' to me when I walked on Bangkok streets. It was a very bitter life.

"I tried to explain to them and they didn't listen. But today, they don't care any longer about my past because they see that I'm doing the right thing right now and they've decided to join our fight.

"I am the vessel of the people, they are my leader, and I do what they command," Mr Suthep said.


From the source - BANGKOK POST

No comments:

Post a Comment